Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Take Heart! There's More to Come!


After my last blog entry, I received an e-mail from a 44-year-old unmarried woman with cancer who feels like the possibility of ever having children is passing her by. I thought my response to her might be helpful to someone else, so I am posting it here:

“The thing God has taught me the most through losing a child is that this world is not our real home if we are in Christ. God has promised ETERNAL life to those who have accepted the free gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. Eternity is a very, very, very long time. It's forever. This life we are living right now isn't the real life. It's only preparing us for the perfect home that all of us really desire. In that home and in that day, noone will ever be sick. Noone will ever die. And listen to this passage from Isaiah 54. "'Sing, O barren one, who did not bear; break forth into singing and cry aloud, you who have not been in labor! For the children of the desolate one will be more than the children of her who is married,' says the Lord." (Is. 54:1)

Don't think that just because you aren't married and have cancer that this is your last shot. It isn't. Everyone talks about their biological clock ticking. Well, there's not going to be a biological clock in heaven and on the new earth. Do you realize everything will be made new? Everything. You are going to have a life you could only dream of someday if you cling to Jesus as your very own husband. Seek God, and the treasures of heaven will be yours. There will be no tears there, no fears either. It will be perfect. Hang onto that hope, and you will see your faith become sight!!!

I personally can't wait. But while I'm here, I hope to do my part to help others come along to heaven with me, because I am certain, completely certain, that I am going there. Nothing could ever take me away from God. Nothing. "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, not things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)

So, don't limit yourself to this world and this time. You'll have plenty of time over there. But, again, while you're here, pursue God, pursue righteousness, and don't let the opportunity to help someone in need pass you by. You have a lot to give. Those who have suffered with Christ have an insight into what God really desires from people. We need to understand that this world isn't about pursuing worldly pleasures, but it's about pursuing holiness. And you can certainly pursue holiness without children, a husband, and with cancer. Stand firm. Fight the good fight, and run your race. Don't give up on God, and who knows? You could be married and cancer free next year. God knows, and you have to trust Him. His ways are always the best ways, even if they seem bad at the time.

I really recommend the book I am reading right now, Randy Alcorn's If God is Good; Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil. It is absolutely perfect for those who have suffered. I'm going to give you just a tidbit from the book here to give you an idea of why I love this book so much. "Josef Tson, who faced much evil in communist Romania, told me, 'This world, with all its evil, is God's deliberately chosen environment for people to grow in their characters. The character and trustworthiness we form here, we take with us there, to Heaven. Romans and 1 Peter make clear that suffering is grace from God. It is a grace given us now to prepare us for living forever.'" (Chapter 37, page 393)

So, you see, we're able to face our challenges here in this world if we believe that we are to "rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." (Romans 5:3-4) "If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth." (Colossians 3:1-2)

I really do understand your desire to have children. They are joy inexpressible, yet with them comes much pain and suffering. Every child has hurts and struggles here in this world. So, think of it like this, you may get to have and raise children in heaven and on the new earth without having to ever watch them cry or suffer or be left out. I try to look at my future life with Bronner that way. His 2 1/2 years here on earth were good, but they are nothing compared to what they will be on a new, restored, and perfect earth unmarred by sin, shame, or death. I believe that Rick and I will get to raise Bronner up on that new earth free from all fear, pain, or suffering but rather in complete joy, awe, and wonder. And maybe, just maybe, this could end up really being God's blessing and not His curse. Bronner's childhood there will be so much better than it could have been here. My boys who are left here with me truly believe that Bronner is in a better place than they are, especially the younger one. Brody is looking forward to heaven and seeing his baby brother more than you could ever imagine. It's amazing to see children who are looking forward to Christ's return, who pray for it everyday, and who eagerly long for heaven and the perfection that will come when this world is restored.”

Keeping the faith,

Sherri Burgess+

(Proverbs 3:5)

14 comments:

  1. Amen Sherri! I love reading your blog. It gives me new perspective and it is truly inspirational and uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the reminder Sherri! God is so good all of the time! Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri, another wonderful,inspirational post! You have such a way with words. I love reading your blog, it is so uplifting. I can't wait each day to check and see if you have posted something new. Thanks so much for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words speak such truth and comfort. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We lost a son in March. My husband listens to Rick and your example of walking through suffering helped us as we walked our road of grief.

    Robin
    (Oneonta, Al)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherri You are so right i had to have hysterectomy at 30 due to cancer also the only thing i ever wanted was to have a baby but for some reason God saw further down the road then i could i have helped raise two beautiful granddaughters from my stepdaughter if i had a had a child i would not have been as involved in their lives now my 12 year old granddaughter is saved and praying for her mother her 11 year old sister
    God is awesome and HE knows what is before us and we have to trust Him even when it seems unfair

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was through a hard life that I ended up on my knee's. I thank God for not giving me everything I have thought I needed..he has always provided exactly what he knew I needed. I think those that have it so easy have a harder time coming to Christ. I thank The Lord for choosing me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a longtime listener of the Rick and Bubba Show, but this is my first time reading your blog. I've been praying for you and your family since hearing about the loss of your little boy. It is so good to see a Christian woman, like yourself, turning to God during the midst of the storm. Praise God that we have eternal life with Him and our loved ones!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This, too, speaks to my heart. I suffer from secondary endometriosis and a partially blocked fallopian tube. No, it's not cancer. No, I'm not in my 40's. But yes, the desire to expand my family is there. I love my son with all my heart and seven years of infertility has skewed my emotions & celebrating all that he is and will become. I know that IF it be His plan for me then it will come to fruition, but not one second before it is supposed to! I do not know what's best for me, so I believe it's getting easier to truly lean on Him, the One who has my best interest at heart! Thanks, again for sharing. The Spirit is beautiful from here!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is only remotely related to the topic of the post, but please allow me to put a plug in here for adoption. So many women grieve over the inability to have children of their own, but never realize there are millions of children that are hoping every day that someone will come and give them a family. James 1:27 says, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

    We all (Christians) strive to keep ourselves from being polluted by the world, but how many see it as their duty to care for orphans and widows? This doesn't have to mean taking an orphan into your home, but there are MANY christian organizations throughout the world who care for orphans and train them in the faith.

    My husband and I are looking at adopting from the Philippines since China's program is virtually closed (with a 7 year wait) and reading through other families' stories is inspiring and hopeful. Infertility is naturally distressing, but there are many many women who report not even remembering that grief when they're holding their new little girl or boy who may look a little different than they do.

    I don't know if this link will post, but it's a good example of what I'm talking about. If it doesn't you can type in 3 ws-dot-samaritansplace-dot-com. Look at the album of kids. SO CUTE!!
    www.samaritansplace.com

    Also the orphanage that the girls from Samford were visiting (that R&B had on the show) is AMAZING. It is 3ws-dot-canaanorphanage-org.
    www.canaanorphanage.coma


    It is so uplifting to see what a difference these orphanages make in their surrounding community. God does have "a hope and a future" for these children and I can't wait to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Sherri for sharing your heart! God is truely working in your life, and God through you is speaking, and healing many people. Your way with words and the strength you show can only be from God himself, so thank you for being an instrutment for God.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sherri, Thank you for taking your time to share your heart with us. I was not sure how to get a hold of you other then here but we would like to know if you would be interested in speaking at our Women's Conference June 19th & 20th. We are in Waycross, GA and about 40 miles from Douglas, GA where you will be speaking in March. (I already have my tickets for that conference)anyway if you could contact me at gracechapel@wayxcable.com I would appreciate hearing from you. God Bless you and your family. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been thinking of you often. The few drops of snow this weekend brought up the memory of your pain two years ago.

    I cried and knew that your journey would be difficult. I will reach the 15 year mark the end of April, yet there's a bond every time I hear of a mother losing a child--especially if the evidence of faith is present.

    I had a chance to write a note to a college student's mother last week. Her daughter died last fall and I've not felt as if I was ready to share my pain (and journey) with her. After reading your testimony, I ordered two copies of the book. I will use the information from your posts and share the books you're reading.

    Though at times I grow weary, I agree with your statement: "Nothing could ever take me away from God. Nothing. "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, not things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)


    In Christ Jesus and LOTS of Angel Hugs

    ReplyDelete